The 31st annual Bread and Roses Heritage Festival is a FREE, open air, celebration of the ethnic diversity and labor history of Lawrence, Massachusetts, on the Campagnone (North) Common in Lawrence, from 11:30AM-6PM. It takes place in honor of the most significant event in Lawrence history: the 1912 Bread and Roses Strike.
Enjoy a day of musical, dance, and theatrical performances from a range of cultures. This is the region’s only true Labor Day festival. The day is full of fun, music, dancing, delicious food, helpful resources, and more!
WHAT: Bread and Roses Heritage Festival
WHEN: Labor Day, September 7, 2015, from 11:30AM-6PM
WHERE: Campagnone Common, 200 Common St, Lawrence, MA
This year, we have again great participation by Labor:
Opening the Festival, at 11:30 a.m.: Ceremony at the Textile Workers’ Strikers’
Monument across from City Hall
Labor union representatives at Lawrence History Live, our popular speakers’ tent (SEIU, Lawrence Teachers Union, MVCLC, North Shore Labor Council), presenting on current issues and job actions
New workshops on innovation and on alternative social and economic organizations,
Our Headline Performers
- Si Kahn Labor and environmental activist, singer-songwriter. Folk music. http://sikahn.com/
- Bread & Puppet Theater One of the oldest, self-supporting, progressive theatrical companies in the country. http://breadandpuppet.org/
- Angkor Dance Troupe Cambodian performance art. http://www.angkordance.org/
- Squeezebox Stompers 5-man band. Blues, Cajun, Zydeco, and Americana http://www.squeezeboxstompers.com/
- O’Shea-Chaplin Irish Dancers, The Common Sage, Lisbeth Perdomo, Henry the Juggler, and more!
ALSO HAPPENING THIS YEAR
- Beehive Collective The Beehive Design Collective is a wildly motivated, all-volunteer, activist arts collective dedicated to “cross-pollinating the grassroots” by creating images for use as educational and organizing tools. They work as word-to-image translators of global stories, shared through conversations with many communities http://beehivecollective.org
- Community Corner In the tradition of the labor, free-speech, and civil rights movements, we are providing a soap box, open to all, to step up and have a voice.
- Workshop Ten The goal of these workshops are to provide new perspectives and strategies to address the problems that we face every day including; access to resources, social sustainability, economic alternatives, communication methods, and education efforts.
- Family Activities Food, walking and trolley tours, Kidz Zone with arts and crafts, storyteller, and pony rides
breadandrosesheritage.org | facebook.com/BRHFestival | Twitter: @1912BreadRoses